Sunday, March 25, 2012

Waitng to Wait, then Waiting Some More

I just need to share this list of everything we are waiting on right now. Let me also point out that every piece of literature you read about psychotic disorder stress the importance of early intervention. Let me also point out that E's is not really getting better. He is getting worse. Slowly, but worse.
  • There's this great clinic E's been refereed to where all they do is deal with young adults with early psychosis issues. It sounds great, they assign you a case worker, help you with everything from meds to quality of life stuff. - On the waiting list for a appointment, no idea when we can get in. Oh did I mention the initial appointment is $400?
  • There's another drug that E's PsyD wants him to go on. It's a newer and much more effective with less side-affects. When I say less side affects I'm not talking about headaches. I mean less likely to give you permanent facial twitching or disrupt you heart rhythm.  Also it's just works better, which frankly the meds he is on now are not. - It is $450 for a two week supply at the lowest does in the US. Since his Rx plan from a publicly traded multi-million dollar grossing company doesn't cover mental health, we are waiting for it to come from Canada. It was 1-out of stock 2-still fucking expensive 3-han't shipped in almost a months time and we will have to wait for it to clear customs.
  •  We are waiting for E's FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) to run out. He has two moths to either 1-get well enough to return to work (see above two waiting items for that challenge) or 2-Hear back about his Social Security Disability (that he has been waiting on that for two years). Then he can really be living rich with the $900 bucks a month or so SSDI will provide and part time work. We'll have to wait and see what kind of work he can find "in this economy." (Let me also mention that if one more person says the phrase "in this economy" I'm going to scream.)
  • Also, waiting for his private disability insurance to tell us how long they will cover him and to what extent if he can/can't return to work. 
Add on top of all this the massive stigma surrounding psychosis, the passive aggressive blame-the-victim mentality in our culture it's a wonder anybody recovers and lives with mental illness. E's a young, educated, white, male in a large and progressive metropolitan area and it's still a fucking challenge.

I don't have a lot of "but-it's-all-part-of-reality-just-love-blah-blah-blah" in me today. And I'm gonna go get my nails done, so bye.

-M

PS Is anybody be sides my BFF reading this? Seriously.

4 comments:

  1. I'm reading! And thinking about you guys... Wish I could somehow magically speed things up for you!

    -leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Leslie, big hugs!

    As an up date the Geodon came from the land of maple syrup (now we have to cross our fingers and wait for it to 'kick in') and we have an appointment at the early-psychosis clinic on the 12th.

    :)
    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey M - I'm reading. I'm crossing my fingers for E . . . and I love how you support him. If you need anything from me, please let me know. You both have my support.

    xoxoxo,
    Margie

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am also reading!! sending my love to you and E <3

    xoD

    ReplyDelete